Monday, April 23, 2007

Miter Update


My mitering has been on hold for more than a week. Last weekend, as I neared the end of my third miter, I realized there were too many stitches on the needle, so something wasn't right. Even after frogging back a bit, I couldn't figure out the problem, so I decided to take it with me to the Oops Class I would be attending the following Saturday at Main Street Yarns in Watkinsville, Georgia.

Well, the Oops Class was this past Saturday, and it was great! I feel so much more confident as a knitter now. I learned how to recognize and to fix a number of mistakes and how to prevent them in the first place. In addition, my instructor had knitted her own mitered square blanket last summer, so I was able to confer with an expert on the problem with my miter.

We thought we figured out the problem, and we frogged back several sections, but when I got to the end again as I knitted on the (three hour) drive home, the stitch count still wasn't right. It's okay though, because I decided just to frog the square in the interest of my new plan.

After checking out the Cotton Classic at the yarn shop, I decided that I prefer knitting with the Mission Falls 1824 Wool. Since I can't afford to purchase a blanket's supply of 1824 Wool at one time, I'm going to pick up balls in colors I like as I can afford them and accumlulate miters over time until I have enough to make a throw. Above is a photo of the colors I bought on Saturday. I can't wait to cast on for a miter using the blue and brown yarn!