Sunday, May 27, 2007

First Completed Sock


Pattern: "Starter Stockinette" from Knit Socks!
Yarn: Cascade 220 The Heathers #2449
Needles: Brittany Birch Size 5 DPNs
Modifications: None (As if...)

This is my third attempt at a sock. My first attempt was the "Class Sock" from Sensational Knitted Socks. Then I tried an Ann Norling children's sock pattern. I kept getting hung up on the heel flap: the pearl bumps would end up on the outside rather than the inside. My friend AL recommended I try the pattern from Knit Socks! because the directions are step-by-step and very specific. Finally, a successful result!

At present, I do not intend to knit the mate to this sock. First, I undertook this project as a learning exercise for knitting socks. And second, worsted weight yarn makes for a very thick sock. I don't know that I would get much use for heavy wool socks where I live. However, I now feel confident to embark upon my next sock project: the Campfire Socks from Cider Moon...as soon as I complete a few more WIPs.

Update 6/5/07: AL, who has a new blog, talked me into knitting the other sock. I hope to cast on later today.