Friday, September 26, 2008

Why I Love Embroidery

I can't remember exactly what inspired me, but a few weeks ago, the embroidery bug bit me, and I am hooked. I have been crocheting for more than three years and knitting for more than two, so maybe it's just time for me to try something new, but I think it was a natural progression for a crafty type like me. I haven't had the time to do nearly as much embroidery as I would like, but I have been thinking a lot about what has attracted me to this medium. In no particular order...
  • After teaching myself to crochet and to knit, learning to do embroidery was extremely easy.
  • It is easy to pick up and put down and to transport.
  • You can do a lot with a few basic stitches.
  • There are a limited number of inexpensive supplies required for the craft.
  • The color and design possibilities are endless.
  • There are hundreds of free patterns available. Here are a few of my favorite sources: 1. Needle'n Thread and 2. Needlecrafter.com, and 3. the Hoop Love Vintage Transfers Flickr group.
  • Simple line drawings can be traced and used for patterns. This is what I did for my first project. I Googled "fleur de lis," printed a clip art image, sized it using image editing software, printed it, and traced it onto my fabric using a water soluable pen.

  • The supplies are generally readily available. I say generally because in the town where I live, I CANNOT PURCHASE EMBROIDERY FLOSS. Yes, you understood me correctly, and I am not mistaken. I live at least an hour-and-a-half from the nearest craft store! However, as you probably guessed, there is a Wal Mart in town, and it still sells fabric, so for that I am thankful. I got a really nice muslin there this week.
  • Because I do a little drawing and lettering, I am inspired to create my own original designs, and I already have several in mind.
  • Embroidery can be combined with quilting and sewing and other types of mixed media such as artist trading cards and art post cards to create wonderful, interesting artwork. Take a look at this!
  • There is a great Flickr group with lots of inspiration.
I'm sure I will come up with more reasons to love embroidery. If you embrodier, WHY DO YOU LOVE IT?